[nycbug-talk] bsdcan?

G.Rosamond george
Tue May 18 17:15:07 EDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 4:14 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On May 18, 2004, at 5:06 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>
>> yea i couldn't put it better!  i think the only thing we didn't
>> accomplish at BSDCan was convincing any locals to invaded the states
>> and replace our healthcare system ;^)
>
> Yeah- seems like a country with CHILDREN SLEDING on the back of their
> $5 bill has other stuff on their mind than war...  Really cool culture
> and people, I must say.
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

I didn't make every session, since I was at the BSDMall table a lot,
but this is what I did hit:

Theo's talk on Exploit Mitigation Techiques

I'm not a developer, but understood the issues and methods before hand.
  Covered the ProPolice issue, W^X/W XOR X, and more.  Fascinating
meeting.

Ryan McBride's talk on pf

It was labelled an intro meeting, but it was more like an overview
about the functionality, not writing firewall rulesets (phew).
Interestingly, the origins of CARP is with SAMBA. . .

Dan's talk on Bacula

Much thought still going on here with this topic. . .I knew about the
technology already, but have some ideas for some funky implementations
and add-ons.

Paul X (always forget his hyphenated Scandanavian last name, and am too
tired to lookup) on GBDE

Essentially a followup on the earlier GEOM talk which I missed, but
explored the various issues related to the FreeBSD encryption method.
I highly recommend reading his paper, which I'll post the url of in my
notes, particularly for those who were at Roland's talk on NetBSD's
cgd.

I'm sure there were more talks I attended, but it's all a bit blurry at
the moment. . .

The discussions in the car, at the bar, in the hall, etc were truly
remarkable.  We all sit in our little atomized worlds, interacting
reguarly, but never having the space to adequately address things. .
.This was different.  It wasn't just exhausting since we went out and
drank much each night, but rather since our brains were in constant
motion.  If anyone feels otherwise, I want to hear about it.

More to come later. . .from meeting notes. . .

Plus my pictures.  Don't worry JC, won't put them *all* up <g>