[nycbug-talk] Mailman SMIME handler note

Isaac Levy ike
Tue May 18 17:52:18 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Bob, George, and I all had a talk with regard to regular use of PGP
and, Bob expressed frustration with SMIME handlers in Mailing List
software, (expressing his preference for MIME-attached PGP and GPG
keys, instead of the messy text)

Anyhow, after discussing some MailMan hacks, I dug around the Mailman
source and then read the Documentation with the current source, and
found that somebody already wrote a fix-
Just thought I'd post this info to the list, so any new and future
mailman lists can be all cool and friendly with SMIME handlers and not
strip/mung up SMIME attached keys.

 From $mailmanSource/NEWS

<snip>
     - Mail handling
         o Content filtering now has a pass_mime_type variable, which
           is a whitelist of MIME types to allow in postings.  See the
           details of the variable in the Content Filtering category
           for more information.
<snip>

         o Content filtering now has a filter_action variable which
           controls what happens when a message matches the content
           filter rules.  The default is still to discard the message.
<snip>

Rocket-
.ike