[nycbug-talk] Re: Mailman SMIME handler note

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue May 18 18:46:58 EDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 5:52 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Bob, George, and I all had a talk with regard to regular use of PGP
> and, Bob expressed frustration with SMIME handlers in Mailing List
> software, (expressing his preference for MIME-attached PGP and GPG
> keys, instead of the messy text)

Clarification:
I don't like OpenPGP keys, because they throw in ugly text ("ASCII
armor") that most mail readers don't ignore, even when you are using
multipart/signed.
S/MIME is neither PGP nor GPG, it's an RSA thing.

For those of you that do not currently have an S/MIME cert, you can get
a free "Personal Freemail" certificate from Thawte.  You don't get to
put your name on the certificate until you've done the whole "web of
trust" thing a few times over (which I have not done, so I can't help
anyone there).

If you're using Apple Mail, this is an excellent tutorial for getting
started with S/MIME: http://joar.com/certificates/

-bob