[nycbug-talk] bsdcan?

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue May 18 18:51:54 EDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 6:39 PM, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 06:27 pm, Sunny Dubey wrote:
>
>> Did they speak about how Intel's amd64 CPU doesn't have No-Execute ?

Theo mentioned this, and he also mentioned that Microsoft won't let
them sell the chip until they have the flag.

>> I'm interested in knowning if this requires a seperate kernel to be
>> compiled for both CPUs, or a single kernel can detect NX support and
>> simple enable/disable it ?

I don't recall this being mentioned.  From the way he talked about it,
it sounds like they will probably fix it before the chip ships anyhow
due to the pressure from Microsoft.

> Actually, I'm more interested in where the OpenBSD guys got Intel's
> amd64
> chips to test their code on.
>
> Obviously it would have to be from Intel directly, but even the Obsd
> guys
> talking about actually using those chips is somewhat surprising.  Most
> people weren't even aware Intel started fabbing any of their yamhill
> work.

The way Theo talked about it, the acquired samples of the chip from
Intel directly.  He also felt it necessary to mention that Intel calls
him, not vice versa.

-bob