[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Bob Ippolito bob
Thu May 20 21:03:22 EDT 2004

On May 20, 2004, at 8:10 PM, Josh McCormack wrote:

> G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>> Spoke to a vendor (GCS, who's rep is cc'd) and they are willing to
>> lend us hardware for any test scenario.
>> I put out the idea of comparing FBSD with ipfw, NetBSD with ipf, and
>> OpenBSD with pf, but the dominant interest seemed to be around
>> networking protocols.
>> One problem is that if we do want to include AFS, AppleTalk, etc,
>> we're comparing protocols on inherently difficult to compare
>> architectures.
>> Thoughts?
>> Who is interested in taking a lead on this?
>
> I'd be interested in seeing ease of use, performance and usability and
> interoperability of various FOSS VPN solutions.
>
> Would that interest anyone else?

Oh god yes.  What I would want to see more than anything else is a
tutorial that details a telecommuting style configuration where isakmpd
(openbsd server), kame (os x client), openswan (linux client), and
microsoft's ipsec all play nicely together.  I did some research and
experimentation with the subject a few years ago, but I didn't have the
time to figure out how to make it work.  Hopefully the situation has
improved since, but I still haven't come across any interoperability
documentation.

-bob