[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Thu May 20 22:11:03 EDT 2004

On Thursday 20 May 2004 09:40 pm, you wrote:

> Uh, why?  In most cases, with most email (list or otherwise), you want
> to use reply to all.

No, you don't

For a few reasons.

Replying to call without the email defaulting back to the mailing list means
that the person is in the TO, and the mailing is in the CC.

What this does is cause Mailman to detect this event, and simply *not* send
the original the poster.  (which makes lots of great sense because it
prevents the original poster from getting the same mail twice.)

However, because of the fact that the original poster is getting the email
from a responder and *not* the mailing list means that the email will lack
the list-id header.  And filtering mail into folders by list-id is a much
better idea than filter by subject (matching [nycbug-talk]).

Therefore it totally screws up filtering for someone of us.  And I really
dislike filtering by subject because sometimes people do reply to me
privately offlist, but their mail gets stuck into the UNIX/nycbug folder
just because it still has the [nycbug] in the subject.

Sunny Dubey