[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Mikel King mikel.king
Thu May 20 23:12:33 EDT 2004

Sunny Dubey wrote:

>On Thursday 20 May 2004 04:00 pm, George wrote:
>

>>Conclusions would be something like, NFS runs amazingly faster than
>>SMB, etc on NetBSD 1.5.3 with an Apple iBook g4 as client.
>>

>I think the a single BSD server will outlast the ibook, heh
>

>>Very simple, but we can at least draw some useful conclusions.
>>
>>Maybe it's too simple. . .maybe we use three boxes. . .Net, Free, Open,
>>and test multiple protocols on each box.  But then the tweaks and
>>configs may change too much that it would distort the conclusions.  But
>>we should decide on the client side box.
>>

>s#box#boxes
>
>with different implementations and such.  The more heterogeneous clients are
>the more "real world" the simulated load will be.  ie:  Sambe<->Samba is
>supposed to be much faster than Samba<->Windows, so clearly there is
>something more going on.
>
>I can write a super generic bourne script for fbsd/nbsd/obsd and linux.  Not
>too sure about os-x and I doubt windows can be scripted the way we want.
>

>>But that angle has to be dealt with too. . .what tweaking and how much?
>>  Every single open source related run in a test lab ends with some
>>party or another complaining (usually legitimately) about custom
>>configs.
>>
>>Maybe the best way to deal with this is to have an email to each
>>project, stating our test parameters, and request their recommended
>>settings, so that no complaining can happen later on. . .
>>

>I think the best way to go about optimizing would be to think like PHB
>would.  IE: use only the optimizations *officially documented* by the
>vendor.  Additionally these optimizations can only help the stability pool
>and must never decrease it.  This way if something were to break, we could
>whatever it was that caused our issues.
>
>I don't think optimizations are not cheating in anyway because in any real
>world usage you wanna be able to get the most out of your money.
>Additionally quite often various defaults are left to safer-than-safe
>levels because the software installed has be generic enough to be able to
>be run on millions of random configurations.
>
>Sunny Dubey
>
>PS:  can this list be setup to default on reply to list.  This way we can
>all just hit reply and keep chatting.  I find CC'ing the person and the
>list to be annoying.

Agreed however since most admins have limitted time, and time is money,
unless things hit critical mass tweaking the OS for a few more horse
power maybe be low on the priority list. Therefore, it would definately
be advantageous to have the vanilla out of the box performance results,
and a comparison of the optimization tweaked results. This way a busy
admin could justify to his/her boss the cost/benefit of them.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
http://www.MySql.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use each other,
but optimists help each other. Collaboration feeds your
spirit, while competition only stokes your ego.