[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD 3.5 install on IBM Thinkpad 360X

Josh McCormack joshmccormack
Sat May 22 16:19:28 EDT 2004

G. Rosamond wrote:

> On May 22, 2004, at 12:22 PM, Josh McCormack wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any experience installing any OS to an IBM Thinkpad 360X?
>> It has no CD-ROM, and an external floppy. When I tried using the
>> OpenBSD 3.5 laptop floppy boot disk I got this:

>> ERR R
>>
>> Josh
>>

> Let me be more helpful Josh.
>
> This happens while it's reading from the floppy?
>
> 1.  make sure you're using a decent floppy.  I had a box of 50 compusa
> floppies a while back, and none of them were good.
>
> 2.  do a low level format of the floppy on a UNIX box.  This will reveal
> the errors that won't show up during a Win32 format.

I did a format using a Knoppix disk, and it looked like it verified fine
and the write was good. Here's a line by line of what I did once I
downloaded the laptop floppy disk from OpenBSD's FTP site:

fdformat /dev/fd0
cd /ramdisk/home/knoppix
dd if=floppyC35.fs of=/dev/fd0 bs=32k

But I still got the same error, as it was trying to load the floppy.

Josh