[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD 3.5 install on IBM Thinkpad 360X

Josh McCormack joshmccormack
Sun May 23 15:59:37 EDT 2004

Pete Wright wrote:
> Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> On May 23, 2004, at 3:55 AM, Josh McCormack wrote:
>>
>>> Turns out it was b/c I had the laptop plugged into a port replicator.
>>> W/O it made it all the way to where I was ftp'ing sets of files, and
>>> it stalled. Ugh.
>>>
>>> Josh
>>

>> Ugh is right- that bites.
>>
>> Question for the list-
>> Can Josh install OpenBSD from a USB media key?
>

> i believe the BIOS does not allow this on the thinkpads.  one option
> would be to PXE/netboot boot the sucker.  if you have another box, you
> could also use this machine as an nfs server so you don't have to worry
> about ftp'ing the files from the 'net.
>
> -pete
>

>> Question for Josh-
>> Do you have a usb port on this rig?
>>
>> Rocket-
>> .ike

It has a USB port, but the BIOS doesn't allow it to boot from that.

When I tried restarting the machine it ignored the floppy and spun
around trying to find things on the hard drive. Then I hit ESC a few
times (out of desperation - VIM has taught me ESC is my friend), and it
did a long hardware summary thing, booted the floppy, and I started
over. Didn't need to partition the harddrive again, just labeled. I
installed the 3 required sets first from a different FTP server (wanted
to work incrementally to make sure I'd get something). Just finished! So
I'll move on to other sets next.

Ideally it should work now.

Thanks for all your help.

Josh