[nycbug-talk] eurobsdcon

Dru dlavigne6
Mon May 24 10:10:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Brown, James (Jim) wrote:

<snip>

> I don't know of any 'one-size-fits-all' software testing suite.
> I do know of projects that have formed their own test suites
> and make them available- some right in the project Makefile
> as I noted above.  But not every project does this.  'make test'
> is not universally adopted.
>
> The point I'm trying to emphasize here is that spotty testing
> must go away.  Open Source needs rigorous testing if it is going
> to seriously compete with commercial products.
>
> Of course, the specific tests would vary by project.  A web proect
> needs network based web testing, while a graphics project needs
> a lot of graphics.  What's common is that they both have large
> code bases that can be modularly (is that a word?) tested.
> The modularized frameworks would cover the standard 'unit,
> integration, system' tests in their own way.
>
> Perhaps a branding scheme-
> 'Project Foo conforms to Open Source Test Framework v. 1.0'
> with a spiffy logo would work.  Personally, I'd rather see
> somethat like that instead of 'Powered by Foo'.

Sounds like an excellent beginning to another talk, but not by me as I'm
not a programmer so I couldn't bring it the hands-on experience it
deserves. However, this could be a valuable talk at next year's BSDCan--
if there's any takers. It would be an excellent arena to start a ball
rolling in a conference room full of developers....

Dru