[nycbug-talk] Help!!! (server problems...)

Kit Halsted kit
Wed May 26 19:42:25 EDT 2004

At 7:21 PM -0400 5/26/04, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>On May 24, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Kit Halsted wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Jim. Heat was one of the first things to occur to me, & one
>>thing I did last time I was there was cleaning the filter on the
>>server room AC. (Dropped ambient temp by about 15 degrees! That
>>filter was nasty...) Still, it never made sense to me that heat
>>problems would happen when the box was close to idle; I would
>>expect crashes at peak times rather than at 7:00 AM when the office
>>is empty & no one's hitting the web db...
>>
>>-Kit
>>

>hmm... maybe it wants coffee.

No, that I'm sure of! Same client, a year or 2 back, I get a call
about a PowerBook not working: turns out it took about half a grande
latte in the keyboard. Nice piece of design, that keyboard: it kept
the liquid away from the important bits.

>Are the PCI cards sitting tightly in the sockets?

Yep.

>Is there someone who doesn't like you who leaves around that time?

One of the 1st things I thought of, being a bit on the paranoid side,
but no. The office is empty when the machine goes down.

>Someone who touches the power cord at that time, like by walking on it?

No one.

>Regarding what Jim suggests, check the BIOS and see if it has a
>thermal panic feature.

I have to look all through the new BIOS when I can get back there,
but that could be it.

Thanks,
-Kit
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -Benjamin Franklin

"...qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
(...if you would have peace, be prepared for war)  -Flavius Vegetius Renatus