[nycbug-talk] silly snarf tricks

Mikel King mikel.king
Wed May 26 22:22:28 EDT 2004

Pete Wright wrote:

> Mikel King wrote:
>
>>    A while back I was playing around with snarf which is a command
>> line utility for pulling web content...Ok so no real big deal there
>> FreeBSD has fetch which does the same thing. However snarf is cool in
>> that you can drop a switch that tells it to return a precompiled
>> HTTP_USER_AGENT.
>>
>>    Now aside from messing with my web developers heads a bit, cause I
>> modified the code to return a (Mozilla 5; on a Banana Jr 2000...) and
>> lately I've changed it to match my FreeBSD 5.1 install on my laptop.
>> Then I scripted it in a cron job to run once a minute and grab 5
>> pages from our company website. OK this really screwed with the web
>> stats...but it was harmless fun. I mean we now get 3800 hits per day
>> from a machine pretending to be Mozilla 1.6 on FreeBSD 5.1.
>>
>>    I guess what I am wondering is if anyone can devise a praticle use
>> for this?
>>
>>    I did use it to scriptout a daily pull of the intelligent updater
>> from Symantec, and place it into my companies ftp server. But that's
>> really nothing magical...
>>
> hey who said messing with web devs was not a practicle use ;)
> seriously tho, i would imagine that this was developed to help get
> past buggy sites that only allow IE/NT to access files.  do you think
> it would allow you grab files from windows update?  prolly not tho b/c
> of all the ActiveX scripts etc...
>
> -p

I don't know, I mean with symantec thingie had to go through a couple of
awk stages before I could grab the right file, but it's pretty
reliable...like ronco...set it and foget it....;-) sure would be nice to
figure out a way around the ms updates thingie...hmmm ok the wheels are
turning...

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
http://www.MySql.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use each other,
but optimists help each other. Collaboration feeds your
spirit, while competition only stokes your ego.