[nycbug-talk] Help

Harold Bush theotherbush
Sat May 29 17:35:04 EDT 2004

Folks

I need some help making a decision. I'm moving my hosting clients from a
rented server in Atlanta to a  location near my office where a friend and I
are sharing a T1 (Wodstock NY). I have a few questions. I will be providing
web host/mail service for about 30 clients and am wondering whether to use
FreeBSD 4.10 or 5.2.1. The goal is to provide a stable hosting situation
that will not require a lot of work once installed. I intend to use Apache
and Postfix and some web mail front end not yet determined (suggestions?).

On page 70 of Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD" he states:
... I now recommend:
Make a single root file system
Do not have a seaparate /usr file system
Do not have a separate /var file system unless you have a good idea how big
it should be. A good example may be a web server, where (contrary to
FreeBSD's recommendations) it is a good idea to put the web pages on the var
file system

This is a little confusing to me (I haven't done any Unix work since 95).
Can someone recommend a file structure that will support web hosting and
mail serving that is a known good configuration (in general)?

Harold Bush
Technologist
digitalBRANDS ?