[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 5.X, renaming interfaces, and boot scripts

Trish Lynch trish
Mon Nov 1 21:27:38 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> How's that for a subject line? *grin*
>
> Anyway, I was playing with renaming hmeX interfaces on a quad-NIC in an
> Ultra 5 running -CURRENT today. This could be very, very useful for
> firewalls -- I've gotten interfaces mixed up before (one a box with 10
> interfaces).
>
> But what about boot scripts?
>
> It seems to me that there needs to be a knob to name an interface
> /before/ networking is brought up, or else the scripts will reference
> the wrong name. Is there such a beast?
>
> grep'ing for 'name' in /etc/defaults doesn't show anything like it,
> though I could be looking in the wrong place. devfs, maybe?
>
> -T

I haven't screwed around with the renaming of nics, however its nice to
know there is someone else crazy enough to run FreeBSD/sparc64 :)

I have an E250, and its been running great for about a year now as my mail
server.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16