[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 5.X, renaming interfaces, and boot scripts

Trish Lynch trish
Tue Nov 2 13:09:46 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> > a sparcclassic, an SS5/100 and an SS10 with a Ross HS150, one runs
> > Solaris, the other 2 OpenBSD, and I also have an Ultra 2 Dual processor
> > box running Solaris 9 these days.
>
> For home use? That's a fair amount of Sun gear ;-)
>
> It's odd how old hardware seems to be valued in "steps", and the value
> can actually /increase/ once shipping becomes a major portion of the
> overall cost.

Yep.... I love my old hardware too, bsdunix.net/rush.net (as it used to
be) started on an SS1 running OpenBSD in 1996 or 97 or so, by the hostname
of cygnus.rush.net

Since then I gave my favorite band the rush.net domain and switched to
using bsdunix.net entirely for my own personal use ;)

since then its been on an SS1, a pentium 166, a dual PII333, a dual
PII350, and an E250 :)

my webhosts have been of varying speed/types too, but all ran OpenBSD or
FreeBSD, on either intel or sun hardware.

I personally love my sun hardware, to this day they have been very
reliable (knock on virtual wood)....

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16