[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 5.X, renaming interfaces, and boot scripts

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Tue Nov 2 15:17:29 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:09:46PM -0500, Trish Lynch wrote:

> Yep.... I love my old hardware too, bsdunix.net/rush.net (as it used to
> be) started on an SS1 running OpenBSD in 1996 or 97 or so, by the hostname
> of cygnus.rush.net
>
> Since then I gave my favorite band the rush.net domain and switched to
> using bsdunix.net entirely for my own personal use ;)
>
> since then its been on an SS1, a pentium 166, a dual PII333, a dual
> PII350, and an E250 :)
>
> my webhosts have been of varying speed/types too, but all ran OpenBSD or
> FreeBSD, on either intel or sun hardware.
>
> I personally love my sun hardware, to this day they have been very
> reliable (knock on virtual wood)....

The Ultra5 and SS10 I have have been dead reliable, and combined with a
serial<->ethernet terminal server they've saved my bacon a time or two
too.

I like SGI hardware too, especially O2s. They're just *pretty* little
gumdrops[1]. My IRC/shell server runs on one.

-T

1. From one of my favourite Benjy Feen stories,
   http://www.monkeybagel.com/shit.html

--
When you can do nothing what can you do?
        - Zen koan