[nycbug-talk] freebsd 5.3 top story on /.

mikel king mikel.king
Sun Nov 7 11:32:20 EST 2004

Freeman, Joshua wrote:

> well, the release of 5.3 has top billing on /. as of 8:05 tonight.
>
> :-)
>
> Now if I can figure out how to safely upgrade my 4.10 stable box to
> 5.3 stable!
>
> :-)
>
> J.
>
> Joshua S. Freeman
> Director, Information Technology, NYBG
> v: 718 817 8937 m: 347 392 2560
> jfreeman at nybg dot org

Well for starters that all depends on if you want ufs2 or not, another
issue stems from the design changes to the boot and startup of the
machine as relating to the changes in etc. My guess is that you will
want to travel that wonderfull path of least resistance because, you are
talking about a major rev upgrade. Well the most headache free route to
upgrade 4.x to 5.x. is to first backup everything, second back it up
again and while your at it just to be safe during the moment when your
making another cup of coffee and you're dotting the I's and crossing the
T's, I suggest you backup again. Especially ALL of your third party apps
config files and your data of course. Then install from scratch via ftp
or cd (iso)  the 5.x blasting everything in sight. Then reinstall all of
those apps from the ports, and using those backups I may have mentioned
earlier you'll restore your data, and old configs. Although you can
usually just drop in the old configs and run with it I only recommend
that if the version of the apps is exactly the same. Other wise just use
the old configs as reference for setting up the newly re-installed apps.

I know this may sound like quite a bit of work, and actually it is, but
I've found that cvsup for instance is best to be used while you are
within the realm of the same major rev, otherwise you'll spend long and
rather exhausting hours wroking through mergmaster to update you old etc
to the new etc format. Of course if you happen to have another machine
to perform a parallel upgrade on, you could do it at you leasure and as
well as enjoy little to no down time.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
http://www.MySql.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use each other,
but optimists help each other. Collaboration feeds your
spirit, while competition only stokes your ego.