[nycbug-talk] Re: backup server?

George Georgalis george
Mon Nov 8 21:26:10 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 02:29:13PM -0500, a nice bug wrote:

>Thanks for the info George - my main concern was about the VIA
>Ethernet controller and especially the main VIA chipsets.. FreeBSD
>5.0 would not boot other VIA chipsets I had in FlexATX boards in
>Shuttle cubes, so I wondered what the progress was. BTW what are you
>using these little systems for?

Well, tonight on that flaky CL10000 I successfully installed OpenBSD
3.5 and FreeBSD 4.10, sorry no 5.0 around. It would seem my cdrom
problems where related to DragonFly DMA or (at least) bios dma
settings. Haven't tried DFly again, but I think the issues I had where
user (admin!) error.

Some vital stats are here:
http://c12.galis.org/nycbug/

Which happens to be the box.

I can't help but wonder if the problems George R had where related to
BIOS settings.  The failsafe defaults disable onboard networking. They
have to be enabled in TWO places, or go with optimized defaults in the
bios, which is how this one is setup now.

If you want a root shell to play around on it, send me a public key.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org