[nycbug-talk] OT: Apache/css/Firefox

marco at metm.org marco
Thu Nov 11 21:18:23 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:28:37PM -0500, Kevin Reiter wrote:
>Sorry for the OT post, but I've been ripping (what's left of) my hair out on
>this one, and I'm hoping somebody has come across this problem and actually
>found a fix for it.
>
>Apache 2.0.x is sending .css files as text/plain to Firefox browsers, and I
>haven't been able to determine if it's a bug in Apache or just a
>configuration issue.  I've found numerous references to it off Google, but
>nobody seems to have been able to find/post a fix to it.  Has anyone run
>into this, and if so, who were you able to resolve it?  I can provide the
>client's config files if needed.

I am sorry but perhaps I don't understand the problem.  How have you
determined that the type is text/plain in Firefox and not in other
browsers, or that this is wrong.  If you request a .css file by typing
it in the url bar it should show up as text.

If you want to force a filetype the syntax is really straight forward:

 AddType text/css .css

But I am not sure this is necessary.  I have never done it.

My guess, if the css is not showing up properly, there is probably
something wrong with the file.  I would check comments as I have seen
css not work with <!-- html --> comments in it in IE.  I am sure there
is a css validator online somewhere.  I use tidy to check all the html
of sites, and a vim with set syntax=on can catch most messed up .css

--
Marco