[nycbug-talk] Hardware Recommendation

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz
Wed Nov 17 11:41:51 EST 2004

Dave Steinberg wrote:
> The only trouble is the heat.  From what I've heard (and I've never
> tried, but people on openbsd-misc have discussed it) since the laptops
> aren't really designed to run closed, they overheat badly, shortening
> their MTBF.

In all honesty, that's not the only problem. They don't have
"server-grade" components for the most part. They're not meant for 100%
duty cycle either.
(You could mitigate the heat issue by opening the laptop up all the way
[180 degrees] instead of leaving it closed, and putting it on a little
laptop stand gizmo will help vent the bottom.)

  > Regards,

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at omnipod.com    +1 646 230 8750
Thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.