[nycbug-talk] Some Soekris things. . .

G. Rosamond george
Wed Nov 17 12:06:29 EST 2004

Seems like it's time for a new topic. . .didn't realize that cheap
hardware sales were so enthralling.  Just try garbage night on Wall
Street. . .

So finally started hacking away at the Soekris box last week. . .

I'm in the middle of writing up a how-to that kind of picks up where
Michael Lucas' OnLamp article leaves off.

First, some stupid problems I faced. . . I think mea culpa is a
appropriate role for the talk list. . . it keeps the egos in check. <g>

1.  I'm using an old Dell PowerEdge server with SCSI drives in it for
the OBSD bootstrap box.  So, what are SCSI drives in the world of OBSD?
  sd devices. . . I'm using Chris Capuccio's script, and stupidly
attempted to run his install script which refers to the CF card as sd0.
. .which is of course my boot device.  So overwrote my bootstrap drive
with the Soekris image.  Duh.  Reading is Fundamental.

2.  Couldn't connect via null modem. . .well, since it's an old server,
the com ports were disabled. . .always check the BIOS. . .

3.  For the first time in years, had problems getting the kernel source
extracted for OBSD.  It's usually a no-brainer.  Apparently, OBSD 3.5
and 3.6 both have a change on this, as per OBSD-misc.  I haven't
researched further, but will not tell anyone how I cheated to get this
working without doing a manual extraction.

I'm looking to give some guidance to the following:

providing online pfstat stats over thttpd for PF firewall.

ppoe

breaking down the rc file for configuration

and a lot more. . .some is kind of basic, and really the next steps in
Michael Lucas' article, some provides more meat for the technically
slow who need hand-holding.

Anyway, I'll be putting up on NYC*BUG library when complete. . .