[nycbug-talk] Which BSD?

Rick Aliwalas rick
Thu Nov 18 23:04:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 pete at nomadlogic.org wrote:

>     But eventually it'll be time to get to business so, does anyone have
> an opinion on which BSD has better support for the UltraSparc
> chip/Sun hardware?  As of now I'm leaning towards FreeBSD 5.x, but
> I'm sure we all have our own opinions on why I would/wouldn't want to
> do that.

I'd have to think that NetBSD/OpenBSD are more mature as they've
supported Sun h/w for so long.  If I'm not mistaken, Theo had a
big role in the sparc port for NetBSD.  At any rate, my non-Solaris
experience on Sun h/w is limited to running OpenBSD on a couple of
Blade 100's.  OpenBSD on the Suns was the same as *BSD on any
other platform I've run - uneventful, predictable, stable...

-rick