Re: [nycbug-talk] BSD on a G3

lists at genoverly.net lists
Fri Nov 19 10:32:02 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:03:11 -0500
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:

> all in all, i'm only medium happy with my powerbook. os x annoyed
> me for so many reasons and openbsd works well, but undocumented/closed
> hardware is becoming a big issue for me. i should have gotten the
> cheapest ibook and left it at that - something to toy around on.
> on the positive side, i like the fact i can have a ppc chipset on
> my lap, though once amd64 laptops make a real play, i'll have a
> hard time coming back to apple (desktops). (sorry apple guys) ;)

Okan, I'll echo that.

I bought the cheapest one I could find and used it to toy around.  I got
sucked into the hype and wanted to try it out for myself, you know,
draw my own conclusions.  Truthfully, I liked it and had some fun.
But, in the end.. it is not for me.  I just sold my ibook while it
still had value.

It is funny you mentioned AMD laptops.  I had that very conversation
with a few list members after the last meeting.

I'm also looking forward to the next NYPHP meeting:

"Join New York PHP in this year's pre-Thanksgiving feast of AMP
Technology. An AMD System Engineer will be examining AMP Technology and
the AMD64 platform. Stop by our IBM location to see how 64bits can
crank AMP up."

Michael