[nycbug-talk] Which B

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Nov 19 20:58:22 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, G T wrote:
>
>> Indeed. OpenBSD is the way to go. Less extra,
>> more juice. Choose OS that will get more from
>> the hard and layered it with security. OBSD do well specially wit sparc and
>> i386
>
> Would OpenBSD be easy enough to learn for a FreeBSD user?
> At a new client of mine they have two Sparc enterprise 220s.
> I am still undecided if to advice them to sell or to see if there would be
> any use for them.

Let's not forget about the "forgotten" NetBSD. :)

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/

I'm not sure if they have smp yet or not.  They do have solaris binary
compatibility:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?compat_solaris+.sparc64+NetBSD-current

Ah, here we go, SMP info:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html#smp-cpus

You'd have to go to 2.0, but that sounds fun.

Charles