[nycbug-talk] Firefox release party and NYC tech community

Pete Wright pete
Sun Nov 21 16:58:13 EST 2004

George Georgalis wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:37:34PM -0800, Pete Wright wrote:
>

>>George Georgalis wrote:

>>>w3m is much better than lynx...
>>>
>>>// George
>>>

>>i'll bite:
>>links
>>

>Weird, I only know of links because some builds failed trying to use
>the -d (dump) switch from lynx on it, but on this stripped dfly box
>installing links required jpeg png pkgconfig tiff imake freetype2
>fontconfig and XFree86-libraries also...

i'm %99 sure that i've had links running w/o X support...but maybe not.
same with lynx as well.

<snip>

>... so what is good about it? (seriously)

personal choice, i "get" the UI to links and lynx better than w3m.
granted i've only used it now and then, but i just seemed to feel more
comfortable with the other choices.

>for comparison, I removed all that and installed w3m...
>
>c11# pkg_add -r w3m
>Fetching http://gobsd.com/packages//Latest/w3m.tgz... Done.
>Fetching http://gobsd.com/packages//All/boehm-gc-6.2_2.tgz... Done.

that's good to know, is it able to handle images ok with just these
packages tho?  i would assume one would still need png/jpeg/etc support
lib's somewhere.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~