[nycbug-talk] kernel question: lkm and ucom

ritalin_casa at comcast.net ritalin_casa
Mon Oct 4 01:38:56 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm new to the group, please let me know if this is a proper place to ask this type of question. How do I write a lkm driver that uses ucom.c for the tty support?

I read the 'Introduction to LKM' and 'Writing a LKM Driver for NetBSD' by Olivier Jaquemet. These two documents say that I'll need to declare a cdevsw device structure for the lkm device. However, ucom already has a cdevsw device structure declared with major number is 66.

If I were to use FreeBSD, I can simply register my driver with the ucom device. How do I do that in NetBSD? Should I search the cdevsw device list for the ucom device, and attach it using MOD_DEV? Or is there something else I need to know? I already sucessfully crashed my NetBSD to the point that I lost my X-windows.

Thank you so much in advance!
rl