[nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst
Tue Oct 5 09:39:39 EDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Dru wrote:

>>> I think you're looking for "man 5 login.access". Michael Lucas wrote
>>> a bit
>>> about it here:
>>>
>>> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/06/28/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>>>
>>> It's also in hack #34 of BSD Hacks ;-)
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what you're asking about with "rcs"... Are you
>>> referring to
>>> some sort of tripwire database or tightening up permissions?
>>>
>>> Dru
>>>
>> With rcs, I want that in order for anybody to be able change any file
>> or
>> settings in /etc/and the sbin's they would have to check it out with
>> rcs
>> first.
>>
>> I just want to know if this is advisable or is there a better way ti
>> create
>> a backup copy everytime somebody wants to make any change in the /etc
>> and
>> sbin's
>

> That's a cool idea. Anyone either implementing this or seen it
> implemented out in the wild?

I set something similar up at an ISP I worked for.  We used CVS to
manage changes made to all configuration files dealing with web
hosting.  So when a customer added features to their hosting package,
say they wanted a static IP, a script would be run that would update
the files and check it back in to CVS.  Before I left, we had planned
to managed our DNS servers in a similar fashion.  Made for an excellent
way to track changes or any typos that might pop up.

-brad

Brad Schonhorst
Network Administrator
Village Community School