[nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst
Tue Oct 5 09:48:42 EDT 2004

> One trick that helps me manage config files is to manually create
> restore points. Let's say I want to edit /etc/group:
>
> cd /etc
> sudo mv group group.orig  # (invent your own journaling scheme)
> sudo cp group.orig group
> sudo vi group
> # So now you have the new version and the original with correct
> timestamp
>
> # . . . later if you want to restore the original . . .
> sudo mv group.orig group  # Mod time unchanged

I generally do that to any files I change on machines that I am the
sole administrator.  The problem (like all computer problems) occurs
when you introduce other users/admins to the box.  The one time someone
forgets to copy the original will probably be the one time they
introduce breakage.