[nycbug-talk] WiFi PCMCIA Cards on FreeBSD

Dru dlavigne6
Thu Oct 14 21:53:39 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2004, at 8:32 PM, Kevin Reiter wrote:
>
>> Has anyone found a PCMCIA wireless (802.11g) card that works under FreeBSD
>> (4.x or 5.x)?  I've done some checking on the 3COM 3CRPAG175 and it seems
>> they work under -CURRENT (according to an April post to the FreeBSD list -
>> see
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-April/003575.html)
>>
>> The reason I ask about this particular model is because I can get one for
>> $48 (no, not eBay - through 3COM) and would like to have something actually
>> work on my laptop (so I can get rid of Winblows).
>>
>> Suggestions?  Comments?
>>

> had no problems with the netgear fa411. . . think it's a g card, but i may be
> wrong.  I've worked with a whole number of other cards with FBSD, but can't
> remember particularly model numbers at this point. . .
>
> Lots of cards are fine at this point. . .including 32-bit CardBus. . .

Does anyone know if this is true for 4.10? I had fun this week trying to
find _any_ of the wireless models mentioned in "man wi". They all appear
to be about 3 years old and no longer sold (not in Canada anyways). Before I
RTFMd and printed out the list of models, I had made the mistake of just
picking up a Dlink (3 revisions higher than the model # listed in the manpage).
FreeBSD saw the insertion but gave an error message along the lines of
"32-bit not supported".

Dru