[nycbug-talk] WiFi PCMCIA Cards on FreeBSD

G. Rosamond george
Thu Oct 14 22:17:01 EDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 9:53 PM, Dru wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:
>

>> On Oct 14, 2004, at 8:32 PM, Kevin Reiter wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone found a PCMCIA wireless (802.11g) card that works under
>>> FreeBSD
>>> (4.x or 5.x)?  I've done some checking on the 3COM 3CRPAG175 and it
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-April/
>>> 003575.html)
>>> The reason I ask about this particular model is because I can get
>>> one for
>>> $48 (no, not eBay - through 3COM) and would like to have something
>>> actually
>>> work on my laptop (so I can get rid of Winblows).
>>> Suggestions?  Comments?
>>
>> had no problems with the netgear fa411. . . think it's a g card, but
>> i may be wrong.  I've worked with a whole number of other cards with
>> FBSD, but can't remember particularly model numbers at this point. .
>> .
>>
>> Lots of cards are fine at this point. . .including 32-bit CardBus. . .
>

> Does anyone know if this is true for 4.10? I had fun this week trying
> to find _any_ of the wireless models mentioned in "man wi". They all
> appear to be about 3 years old and no longer sold (not in Canada
> anyways). Before I RTFMd and printed out the list of models, I had
> made the mistake of just picking up a Dlink (3 revisions higher than
> the model # listed in the manpage).
> FreeBSD saw the insertion but gave an error message along the lines of
> "32-bit not supported".

It's all a bit pickier with 4.x, of course. . .but i think there was
some cardbus in 4.x. . from what i remember. . .not necessarily without
some hacking. . .