[nycbug-talk] OT: ISP for T1 in NYC

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Fri Oct 22 23:48:36 EDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, mikel king wrote:

> Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
> >> T1 anywhere in Manhattan 425$, anywhere in 5 boroughs 475$/month, 1 year
> >> term, 0 setup.
> >

> > Besides setup cost how does your service compares to

>     Where are you located because that is very important in pricing out
> a t1, sure you can be quoted $x for a t1, but the nasty tasting local
> loop charge that Verizon slaps on is based upon the distance between you
> and the destination. On a side note it is worth mentioning; it is
> extremely rare to be within the zero mile designation...but I have seen
> as recently as a week ago...a customer got a t1 from us for under 4
> bills...but that is only because they had basically no local loop.
Note that quote above is *including* the loop, and it *does* depend on
your location.

>     Additionally mttr actually means mean time to respond. Verizon has a
> 4 hour window to respond to your call regarding a downed t1, not repair
> it. I can also tell you for certain a dsl line is treated no differently
> than a pots line. Verizon has absolutely no guarantee as to how long it
> will take to repair you downed circuit in either case. For instance if
> ConEd is digging in the street and rips out a 20-30 foot section of t3,
> in front of your building. I can guarantee you will not be back up
> within 24 hours let alone 4, no matter what you SLA with your ISP says.
Sorry, no. MTTR is mean time to repair. You are *guaranteed* that VZ will
look at it in 4 hours [usually, VZ looks at it immediately after call to
hicap repair], PLUS the mean time to *repair* it *is* 4 hours [which is
what I am referring to].

-alex