[nycbug-talk] BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Brown, James Jim JBrown
Mon Oct 25 18:28:00 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces at lists.nycbug.org
To: talk at lists.nycbug.org
Sent: 10/25/04 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [nycbug-talk] BSD Success Stories (fwd)

On Monday 25 October 2004 16:29, Dru wrote:

> Wanna email O'Reilly and ask? ;-)

heh, what would I say ?

"this is nameless hax0r from NYC, please add bsd.o.com!
kthx
bye"

haha

that being said

I think its really important that people eat their own dog food.  If was
clueless twit, and I saw "http://linux.o.com/BSD_Advocate.pdf" I'd
probably
think to myself "Linux is BSD's older brother".

I also think "marketing from the server room" is doomed to fail.  For
every
example of corporate BSD usage you can show me, I can easily show you
examples of corporate NT usage.  Sure people like you and I will be able
distinguish fact from FUD, but the PHB reading that PDF can't.

I don't mean to offend when I say this, but such written material IMO is
not
going to help the BSD cause.

IMHO how available an OS to users at *home* is what is going to help it
in the
corporate sector/adoption.  People took the concepts they learned of
Windows
95/98 at home, and took it to the work place with Windows NT4/2000.
Everyone
downloaded some copy of Slackware/Redhat and eventually had most ISPs
running
on it.  etc etc etc

What BSD really needs is a whole bunch of BSD guys to show up at random
computing conferences, and to simply boot BSD on their laptops, with
their
BSD wallpaper.  That IMO is extremely powerful and priceless
advertising.
People are going to look at these "cool BSD guys" and they are going to
want
to do the same thing .... at home!  Once they get comfy with it at home,
they
start bringing it to the work place, and loading it up on machines their

manager isn't going to care about.  The rest is history.

Of course I'm over-simplifying this, but hopefully you all get the idea.

Sunny Dubey

Fortunately I'm one of those people who already runs BSD on my
laptop and have the nifty KDE desktop.  I like this approach
and I think it's fun to meet people and talk about BSD stuff.

But we really need to find ways to get the word out to large
corporations regarding  BSD.  They are the ones that are going
to spend the big $$$.  I've often speculated that if BSD was not
caught in lawsuit hell during the time IBM was evaluating Linux
(sometime during 1997-1999) I believe they would have gone with
BSD instead.  The licensing, the maturity of the code base
and the wide user base were all as good as, or better than Linux
at that time.

Here's a case in point- IBM supports Linux on their HS20 BladeCenters.
If they at least supported a BSD installation, there would be
more interest from corporations wary of Windows DLL hell and not
impressed with Linux either, especially RH Advanced Server.

There *should* be another choice.  But right now there isn't because
of the lack of IBM support.  And companies can't put their money into
BSD if there isn't at least a supported option.

HP is the same way.

These are a very strong platform for BSD and they *can* be made to:
1. work well; and 2. be supported by IBM/HP.

If this could be done- I think more interest and committment would
roll our way.

Best Regards,
Jim B.

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. Thank you.  ThruPoint, Inc.