[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Firmware license

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Wed Oct 27 13:27:09 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 12:01, G. Rosamond wrote:
> More on the firmware issues. . .This is from OBSD-misc, and we had
> initially discussed Intel's Centrino as NYC*BUG was launched .  . .
>
> Of course there's another email to hit at Intel.

I don't think Intel is going to care.

If millions of screaming linux folks can't get them to change, few people
will.  Intel's responce to us linux folks was to create a sourceforge project
with OSS drivers that required the use of the binary only firmware[1].  The
best part was the *intel employees* on that project itself couldn't use the
*full* specs either.[2]

Also, laptop ODM's, resellers, etc weren't to hot on Centrino either.  But
Intel didn't care, and forced it down their throats as well.

So long as Intel is the *only* provider if high performance, low power x86
CPUs, they can keep doing as they want.  They have a monopoly on the laptop
market, and they know it.

Sunny Dubey

[1]http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net
[2]read the about blurb