[nycbug-talk] Soekris 4801 and OBSD 3.6

G. Rosamond george
Sun Oct 31 16:06:01 EST 2004

On Oct 31, 2004, at 4:03 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> On Sun 2004.10.31 at 15:58 -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
>> Anyone have a kernel file that works for OBSD 3.6 and Soekris 4801. .
>> .?
>
> uhm, I use GENERIC without any issues. in the past i made smaller
> kernels and such, but with the last 2 releases (3.5, 3.6 and of
> course -current) everything works and my flash is big enough (128)
> to hold a default install. - plus it's got all the cool things by
> default (gpio, etc)...

That's cool. . .my CF card is 128 meg too. . .

> unless you want to hack, i'd say use GENERIC ;)

Cool. . .of course that's the *easy* route. . .will use GENERIC for
now. . .and do my own messing around with it. . .

>> I starting making some adjustments while comparing the GENERIC 3.6
>> kernel and the Soekris kernels I found around, but it seems beyond the
>> mere basic stuff in my skill set with kernel hacking.  I dealt with
>> the
>> bios and NMBCLUSTERS problems. . .but there seems to be a bit more.
>
> 3.6 pulled NMBCLUSTERS out for various reasons...it is now a sysctl.

>> All googling has produced is OBSD 3.5 kernels, and checked both
>> Soekris-tech and OBSD misc.
>>
>> Any insight would be appreciated. . .
>
> GENERIC ;) and makes my life easy when upgrading every few weeks with
> -current.

Of course. . .good point Okan. . .I just love the idea of a super
scrubbed kernel on the Soekris box, despite the tone about it on
OBSD-misc. . . <g>