[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Dru dlavigne6
Thu Sep 23 19:51:50 EDT 2004

Please forgive the crosspost but I know that members of both lists were
awaiting a supply of BSD Success Stories pamphlets.

After 5 months of run-around, I've finally gotten word on the progress of
the pamphlets from the (newly hired) product manager for open source books
at O'Reilly. The message follows but the basic gist is there's not enough
of a BSD market to justify the cost of the pamphlets. This is in-line with
the trend I've spoken about with some of you individually: publishers in
general and O'Reilly in particular do not see BSD books as a viable
market. Noone is arguing the _quality_ of BSD books (thanks to Lucas,
Anderson, Lehey, et al.) but it does explain the skew in _quantity_. It
also means that I won't be successful in pushing a second BSD book anytime
soon (if at all) so I'm afraid the next book won't be on BSD.

As I see it, this skew is due to one of two things:

1. There's just not that many of us BSD people out there

or

2. We're out there but we're not putting our money where our advocacy is.

I can only speak for myself so I went through my book receipts for this
year. I've bought 8 tech books, none of them BSD. (If I don't count the
Annaliese Anderson one I've promised to buy for a former student but
haven't had the time to order yet). So this weekend I'm going to order Greg
Lehey's latest to replace my well-thumbed 1st edition as well as
McKusick's latest.

On a related, it's been a long week, topic, I had lunch with some execs of
a fortune 500 company today. (I've had an ongoing contract teaching their
employees Linux+.) Of course, BSD always comes up in class. Not just
because of yours truly, but because the students are current BSD admins
whose company's product line is migrating from FreeBSD 3.x to Redhat 9.
Many of the employees requested that the company pay for a FreeBSD course.
The execs were willing and wanted to know the name of the BSD certifications
that were available. Their training budget is related to certifications:
no certification, no training money...

O'Reilly's response and this company's response should be a very big
wakeup call to anyone interested in BSD. I won't be posting to advocacy
until my double-shifts are over next Thursday. I need time to think and
rest so I won't be overly irritated when that advocacy thread fizzles into
nothingness.

Dru