[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst
Fri Sep 24 10:08:31 EDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:56 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:

> Very possible. . .but it's not a useful strategy to just implore
> people to buy BSD books.  We've pushed a number of books a lot, but
> what I can tell from BSD Mall sales is that it's those new to the BSDs
> that are the first to buy books. . .
>

> Right. . .I do think it's worth creating a NYCBUG mailing list on the
> topic of a BSD certification.  Certainly BSD Mall is in a good
> position to sponsor, as they have a respected name in the community.
> We can get a list of necessities for a certification brewed up through
> a dedicated mailing list.

As a BSD newbie, I thought I would chime in on this one.   Recently I
was introduced to BSD and have purchased 3 books this year.   Thats a
lot for me,  I RARELY purchase tech books, I have always believed that
I could find what I needed on the web.  Although I have a background in
unix/linux, right now I am primarily an  OS X admin.  As you know there
are tons of mac admins with no *nix experience who all of a sudden find
themselves needing to learn some command line skills to maintain their
servers.  Seeing how Darwin is a BSD flavor, this seems like a huge
group of potential BSD users.  Sure there are several books out there
that give a very basic overview of the 'Mac command line,' but few go
into much depth.

Everyone's work situation is different, but my school is willing to
cover the costs of sending me to a training course once a year.  I
never took certifications seriously, but I would love to put our money
into a BSD class as opposed to the other options out there.  I'm sure
many of the Mac admins just getting a taste for whats happening under
the hood of their xServe would love to take a course and learn more
about BSD.  I would love to help out on setting something like this up
if others are so motivated...

-brad