[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

G.Rosamond george
Fri Sep 24 11:07:57 EDT 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Rick Aliwalas wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> If something works, and works well, and works transparently, there
>> isn't very much to discuss about it- so book sales are a bad way to
>> judge the success of the BSD's.
>
> Excellent point.  And it's testimony to the quality of the man pages
> and docs.

Of course the man pages and docs are excellent points, that's why I did
an interview with Tom Rhodes in the August DN EZine. . .

It certainly will impact sales for some. . .

maybe we should request crappier man pages so book sales increase?  <g>

but i do think that, besides the advocates like many of us, book sales
reflect new users attempting to learn more.  there is unquestionably a
growth in the BSDs over the past year or so.  it's unmistakable.

so why no growth in book sales?

What about hits to your OnLamp column Dru?  What's does the graph look
like over the past few years. . .