[nycbug-talk] the list

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Sat Sep 25 20:50:02 EDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:04:48 -0400
George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:32:50PM -0400, pete wright wrote:
> >sorry for the top post, but...i thought these books were being
> >donated to the NYCBUG library.  I.E. they are available for lending
> >to NYCBUG members who return them after they are done reading them,
> >it seems to
>
> that was my understanding.
>
> For distribution we should think about using USPS media mail so nobody
> has to schlep them anywhere. Media mail will cost about $2 a book and
> take up to 7 days. The checkout procedure could be, see website for
> what's available, review and postage. If 4 weeks have passed or the
> person accepts early release, they get paypal postage (or stamps,
> whatever) and are obligated to wrap it in paper bag and mail to new
> recipient...
>
> http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.asp
>
> // George

This is a good idea and a cool thing for us to do, but a couple
of procedural questions come to mind:

1: who is the librarian and where do the books reside when they are
   not in use.
2: What do we do with books that have become obsolete, the turbo C
   book for example.
3: is this limited to unixish books?

If the process is you can have the book for a month, but no one asks for
it for 3-6 months where does it reside?  I know from personal experience
I stand a good chance of loosing it under other books and such, if it is
in my position but not in use.  I have 5 full bookcases plus 12 milk
crates plus lots of other books as well.

marc