[nycbug-talk] BSD comparisons to Solaris (slashed)

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Sep 28 03:31:43 EDT 2004

Hi All, <cough> Marc read this </cough>

I was skimming slashdot this morning, and saw what I thought would be a
noisy FUD-fight, but turned out to be an interesting skim-

This article, makes me think of wanting to write down a list of ways
that the BSD's shine or openly fill in these areas, and would love any
pointers to any specifics that folks may know...

--
A post re. Solaris vs. Linux gave rise to a blogger who works for Sun,
going through what he felt was more of a comparison, than a fight- and

How do the BSD's directly compare to some of the cooler and more mature
features of Solaris?

 From the article, I'm specifically speaking about the following issues:

   - Reliability - the claims made make Solaris seem to easily manage
issues like recovery from memory corruption etc...

   - Servicability - Hardware Integration issues seem to make this
tougher for X86 in general, insomuch as the Sun hardware is directly
linked to the Software- (something I've experienced personally to be
delightful with Apple/OSXServer systems)

   - Observability - The author explains DTrace, and puts it a context
for use that I'd think the ancient KTrace is the BSD equivalent?  (This
point of the Author, to me, seemed to be something I could directly
relate to in the BSD world where ).

   - Resource Management- 'control memory and CPU shares, IPC tunables,
and a variety of other constraints on a per-process basis', what's the
BSD equivalents for this?

Now I'm not wanting to even touch the Solaris vs. Linux issue here with
a 10 foot pole, not on this list especially- insomuch as some of the
Linux hardcores I've known tend to wrap their own utilities to fulfill
these kinds of functions.  But where do we, with BSD's have this kind
of thing built-in?

--
The article is here:
http://tinyurl.com/6rw83

The slashdot post is:
http://tinyurl.com/3ny98
-or-
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/04/09/27/1311221.shtml?
tid=163&tid=147&tid=110&tid=102&tid=106&tid=218

Rocket-
.ike

--
P.S. My email address has changed with the incorporation of my
business, though structuredsystems email will continue to reach me.  I

isaac at diversaform.com
http://diversaform.com