rss//nntp Re: [nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue Sep 28 12:35:51 EDT 2004

On Sep 28, 2004, at 12:21 PM, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:54:29PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:06:06 -0400
>> "G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net> wrote:
>>

>>> IMO, we need a mailing list in addition to the wiki. . .
>>
>> ok pet tech peeve of mine, can we look at NNTP?  It gives us a much
>> better interface to work with, SMTP was never designed to be threaded
>> among other things.  NNTP is a much better interface for this type of
>> stuff and you get archiving for free.   We can even use NNTPS for
>> secure
>> access.  And it has sasl, if it is compiled in so we can authenticate.
>
> Having never used NNTPS for more than 3 minutes, and not ever using
> RSS, my first thought is what client to use? I spent a good long time
> searching for a good RSS client once, and didn't find one.
>
> I'm going to have a hard time using something besides my mutt, I tried
> gmane but didn't get comfortable with the interface... maybe I just
> need
> a good client to connect via NNTP...
>
> oh didn't see this one before.
> http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/screenshots.html
>
> the linux screenshot looks interesting... don't have time to try it
> now.
> Looks like it requires java, weird, I guess. anybody more familiar with
> nntp and rss care to comment?

I think you may be confused.  An RSS->NNTP bridge is something
completely unrelated (but cool, if you're into the NNTP thing).  RSS is
basically a structured version of a web page that is broken down into
"entries", as in slashdot or a blog.. so that you can reliably and
cheaply see if the page has updated, and you can also (sometimes) read
the content without actually going to the page and looking at all the
crappy web design and banner ads.

NNTP is to HTTP as NNTPS is to HTTPS.

-bob