[nycbug-talk] script gui

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue Apr 5 18:17:30 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:32 PM, pete wright wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2005 12:15 PM, steve Rieger <steve at n2sw.com> wrote:
>>
>> am working on a personal thing, and i would like to make a sexy gui
>> for
>> a script i have, this script asks the user questions and based on the
>> answers it inserts data into a mysql db.i would like this gui/frontend
>> to be cross platform, which rules out a few langs, can you folks
>> recommend the pros and cons of what my options are,
>> a few that come to mind are ruby, python, java etc....
>>

> my personal favorite right now is python.  the qt bindings are pretty
> great if you are working on a *nix machine (not sure about osX and
> win32 gui bindings sorry).  the only other scripting lang. i have gui
> experience with is perl...and it hurt.  compared to python atleast ;)
> for example I worked on an app here that we used the qt gui designer
> to build the interface, which then exported an XML file that python
> can just slurp up.  it was quick, easy and quite responsive as well.

Qt is only available for Windows commercially.

Sounds like your requirements may be simple, and Python + Tkinter might
do just fine.  Tkinter support ships with Python just about everywhere,
except Mac OS X (up to and including 10.3 anyway), because Mac OS X
doesn't ship with Tk (yet).  However, you can install Tk from
http://tcltkaqua.sf.net/ and get the _tkinter extension for the Python
2.3.0 that ships with Mac OS X 10.3.x from
http://pythonmac.org/packages/

There is also wxPython, which works great on Windows and less so
everywhere else... or pyGTK which works on X11/Win32 (mostly anyway)..
but I would recommend just taking a stab with Tkinter first, as you
already have it and it's rather simple to deal with (so long as your
requirements are also simple).

-bob