[nycbug-talk] problem booting FBSD 4.11 or 5.3

Charles Sprickman spork
Wed Apr 6 13:44:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, George R. wrote:

> 5.3 boots and borks out at the initial stages right before/during the Daemon
> menu screen.
>
> I googled a bit, but nothing useful . . . ideas?

Have you tried the 5.4 beta for kicks?  I had a box that was having issues
with a 3Ware controller and 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10 all bombed.  Then 4.11 was
the magic bullet.  Since 5.x is advancing so much faster perhaps something
in 5.4 will "fix" it.

What other hardware of note is there in the box?  Someone else mentioned
booting sans ACPI, try that for sure.  Is this a server-class board or a
desktop board?  Have you tried disabling sound, usb and built-in ATA/SATA
controllers?

Charles