[nycbug-talk] problem booting FBSD 4.11 or 5.3

George R. george
Wed Apr 6 13:53:31 EDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, George R. wrote:
>
>> 5.3 boots and borks out at the initial stages right before/during the
>> Daemon menu screen.
>>
>> I googled a bit, but nothing useful . . . ideas?
>
> Have you tried the 5.4 beta for kicks?  I had a box that was having
> issues with a 3Ware controller and 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10 all bombed.  Then
> 4.11 was the magic bullet.  Since 5.x is advancing so much faster
> perhaps something in 5.4 will "fix" it.

I am downloading snapshots of 5.3 and 6.0 FBSD. . . we see. . .

> What other hardware of note is there in the box?

Nothing else of note other than the motherboard and SATA controller. . .

> Someone else mentioned booting sans ACPI, try that for sure.  Is this
> a server-class board or a desktop board?  Have you tried disabling
> sound, usb and built-in ATA/SATA controllers?

I'll try ACPI in the BIOS. . . I think I tried that already. . . and
the other things. . .

Was really just curious about any experiences. . .

I'll keep everyone in the loop. . .