[nycbug-talk] script gui

Jay Savage daggerquill
Wed Apr 6 14:49:40 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 3:15 PM, steve Rieger <steve at n2sw.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> am working on a personal thing, and i would like to make a sexy gui for
> a script i have, this script asks the user questions and based on the
> answers it inserts data into a mysql db.i would like this gui/frontend
> to be cross platform, which rules out a few langs, can you folks
> recommend the pros and cons of what my options are,
> a few that come to mind are ruby, python, java etc....
>
> thanx

I'd say it depends at least in part what language the script is
already in, and how difficult it would be to rewrite it vs. how much
of a pain the gui is in whatever language it's already in.

That said, the Python Tk bindings are nice.  My personal favorite for
any database work remains Perl, and Perl/Tk is very nice and very
stable.  Your decision will stem partly from the answer to "how sexy
is sexy?" but overall, it sounds like Qt or GTK are proably overkill
for what your talking about.

You could also write it as CGI or PHP to make it extrememly
cross-platform, and use flash, javascript, etc., to make it as
sexy/annoying as you want.

HTH,

--jay