[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD Testimonials and Support

Gordon Smith g
Tue Apr 12 15:14:18 EDT 2005

As a part of a proposal, I need to recommend an operating system to be used
to run the server software for a highly available web application.  I'd like
propose FreeBSD; however, I need to educate the management team receiving
the proposal so that they will feel more comfortable selecting FreeBSD.  I'd
appreciate any information you might provide about FreeBSD users,
significant FreeBSD-based apps, and FreeBSD support vendors that you might
recommend as experienced and reliable.

The CEO would also like to be able to address the topic of SCO's litigation
should it arise in customer conversations - that is, why FreeBSD is immune
to, not demonstrably related to, or indemnified from SCO's legal approach.
If a good case can be made here, it would be a "good marketing bullet" for
FreeBSD.

In the absence of such information, I'll need to propose the use of a
prominent Linux product (such as Red Hat or SUSE) *instead* of FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gordon Smith