[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD Testimonials and Support

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Apr 12 15:58:57 EDT 2005

quickie .02?

On Apr 12, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:

> As a part of a proposal, I need to recommend an operating system to be
> used to run the server software for a highly available web
> application.? I'd like propose FreeBSD;

Big long-time FreeBSD shop (who do you ping when testing your net
connection, eh?):
http://yahoo.com

A good picture of where FreeBSD/*BSD stands for high availability:
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

This OReilly pamphlet is full of relevant experiences,
(high-availability in hospitals, etc...), but if it's relevant for your
staff my story is more dev./TCO oriented (in comparison to Linux):
http://linux.oreilly.com/news/bsd_ss.pdf

Rocket-
.ike