[nycbug-talk] CISSP test on july 16

George R. george
Tue Apr 12 19:48:42 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Marc Spitzer <mspitzer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a test for the cissp cert on July 16 in NYC.
>
> Is this something that is generally considered worthwhile?  I've been
> looking around at what kind of certifications there are these days, and
> aside from the cisco certs, I just plain don't know about any others.

Of all certs, I think the CISSP ranks way up there in terms of
reputation, and body of knowledge covered.

As it is a security cert, it should be compared to the SANS GSEC. . .
both cover ten areas that are very similar.  The CISSP has one sitdown
6 hour exam at a center, the GSEC has 2 x 3 hour online exams, and
until recently, a practical paper.

My perception has been that the GSEC is a more technical exam, and the
CISSP is more management. . . at least in the eyes of HR directors.
Not that I've had a job interview in a long while, but from discussions
I've had.

I think it really depends on the direction you plan to move. . . if
security is it, then either of those make sense.