[Fwd: Re: [nycbug-talk] graphical wi-fi front end]

Tim Jacques netmantej
Sun Apr 17 03:31:38 EDT 2005

hello all..

thank you for the responses: ike , pete , ah pook.

so far i have found:

istumbler- mac only.

wistumbler2- an x based ap detection utility. nice and simple. it has
been a little nervous on my system though.. it core dumped a few times.
other than that it detects accurately.

ap-utils- it looks like it is for configuring ap's. not detecting and
associating.

bsd-airtools- contains an ap detection utility called dstumbler. with
the (-s) option it works well with my (ath0) card. without the (-s)
option it gives an ioctl error and halts.

kismet- with the radiotap_fbsd_b capture source i am able to capture 11b
   and 11g. it seems to play nice with ethereal.. i like it....

kwifimanager and kwireless- according to everything i have found so far,
they are linux only. ugh.....

i found a mention in the freebsd-ports archive about someone doing some
work on kde wifi tools. i sent him a email. hopefully it will be fruitful.

i guess i am looking for something like kwifimanager (with or without
X.)  a detect, select, associate, and acquire an address utility.

any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
i will report back anything i hear about the kde wifi tools.
thank you again everybody..
have a great day..

tim..