[nycbug-talk] Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly

George R. george
Mon Apr 18 10:40:58 EDT 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Ray wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:33:10AM -0400, michael wrote:
>> SEE NEW BSD BOOK BELOW!
> [...]
>> ***Mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD Security
>> Publisher: O'Reilly
>> ISBN: 0596006268
>> Using an application-specific approach, this book provides sound
>> technical
>> information on FreeBSD and OpenBSD security in conjunction with
>> real-world
>> examples to help you configure and deploy a secure system. The authors
>> walk you through the installation of a hardened operating system, the
>> installation and configuration of critical services, and ongoing
>> maintenance of your FreeBSD and OpenBSD systems. Even administrators
>> in
>> other environments--like Linux and Solaris--can find useful paradigms
>> emulate here.
>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mfreeopenbsd/
>>
>> Chapter 1, "The Big Picture," is available online:
>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mfreeopenbsd/chapter/index.html
> [...]
>
> Is it possible that we get a couple of copies? =)

As long as you sign in blood that you will do a comprehensive review of
the book.

We don't do reviews because we love publishers or want to retake 5th
grade.

We want to get BSD books sold for the sake of the authors and the
community.  Obviously, if the book is horrible, feel free to state
that.

If BSD books don't sell because no one knows about them, then
publishers won't publish them and BSD authors will focus in other
areas.

Dru's book BSD Hacks is probably one of my most fun technical books
(excuse the poor english), that I regularly use as a resource and often
just browse.  But sales were not great, from what I know.  If more
people knew about the book, I'm sure sales would have been better.

We have a role to play as a technical group.  IMHO, the central part of
that is supporting the community.  Getting a free book and not giving
out a review of it, whether positive or negative, does us a disservice.
  NYCBUG has already gotten a good number of free books that should have
been reviewed, and we have little to show for it.

So step up to the plate.