[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Apr 21 18:06:57 EDT 2005

Word,  Grr,

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:29 PM, George R. wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> On Apr 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, George R. wrote:
>>
>>> MAC address ACL, WEP/WPA with decent keys, not broadcasting address.
>>> . . It's not perfect, but it will generally work unless someone
>>> really knows what they're doing.
>>
>> In all honesty, I've had fairly un-technical clients of mine show me
>> how exited they were to discover KisMac, so while I agree that
>> someone has to know what they're doing, and would add that masses of
>> non-technical people *do* know what they're doing- making MacACL,
>> WEP, and WPA absolutely worthless.
>>
>> My .02? strategy, open your AP- and use good secure software.
>>

> fully aware of the options, as you know. . .
>
> But again, in the majority of cases, using mac acl, wpa/wep and not
> broadcasting address is adequate to keep a home network operational.
>
> uncrackable?  of course not. . . we've all done mac address sniffing.
> . .

On Tech:
Oh Gman, I know you know ;)  *BUT*, I'm stating that I have seen that
the common person who runs MS Word, and can make a Power-Point
presentation without assistance on their laptop, can, and *DOES*, use
these tools commonly- esp. in NYC- so I see it as a much greater issue
than many of *us* realize.

On 'To Open or not to Open, that is the question':
--
With regard to liabilities of what someone does from your IP, I believe
that the strategy of locking-down/closing an AP is practically bogus,

If people don't choose to just openly share alike, we'll see more
attempts at privatized and even govt. sponsored regulation of roaming
wifi access, (orginizations like Sputnik, does anyone remember that
group?!? [they were once upon a time nyc based])- and google says, they
indeed still exist:
http://www.sputnik.com/

/me shakes my head at all this waste of time hype

--
Part of *why* I think this way is:

I think more important than everyone debating over use of the invisible
wires, is for uses to emerge that *doe stuff* over the lines, and I see
closing down the networks, the endless overlapping circles of
micro-Machiavellian toll-bridge trolls, collecting pennies and fretting
about wireless uses, inhibiting anyone actualy making this stuff do
something useful for all of us in society.

As technical people with influence on many levels, let's not let wifi
turn into a repeat of the last cycle of the telcos, (which to me is
just another repeat of 14th century Japanese feudalism- violent,
bloody, micro-warlords using shiny new samurai swords to hack each
other to bits for a few centuries?)  *Yawn*.

We've hit a point with this technology where I believe it's close to
the value and price of air- or water- and it's high time we start to do
interesting and useful things with it all and just let it all rip...
Mega-mesh topology, anyone? :)

Again, just my .02?

Rocket-
.ike